Saturday 14 January 2017

Freehand machine embroidery

Developing my cockerel piece


The initial image was developed as a LINOCUT.
I printed the bird on to smooth, plain weave cotton using Caligo oil based relief ink.
It does take a long time to dry on fabric.
The fabric was stretched on an embroidery loop and the basic composition 
was stitched over in black thread.


I didn't want to work with the bold lines of the linocut so the cloth was reversed in the 
embroidery hoop revealing the background / underneath.
This gave me a 'starting point'.


The bird was the big challenge so I chose to start with him rather than the background.
It's also a little easier to work from the centre outwards as you get less distortion of the cloth.
Gutermann viscose embroidery threads


Building up the background using Madeira rayon thread - very shiny.


The finished piece with close zigzag stitch to frame the edge.











No comments:

Post a Comment