Monday 12 March 2018

A successful collaboration

A photographer & textile artist working in partnership.


Jenny Bone & Kevin McDonagh on location in rural Devon.


Jenny Bone
After a fulfilling career in art education, retiring to Devon seemed like the icing on life's cake.
Dartmoor continues to inspire. It is such a joy to walk out on the moors and explore the ever changing landscape. 

I usually take my sketchbook when Kevin carries his camera but use his photographs extensively for inspiration and references I need for my landscape needlefelting.


There is something so satisfying about working in fibre. 'Painting' with felt adds a tactile dimension to the work. I lay down the basic composition with wool rovings onto a felt fabric background. The coloured wools are then needle felted into the fabric either using an embellisher machine or with a small hand tool. Details are added by hand and machine embroidery.


Kevin McDonagh
I have had a keen interest in photography since my early twenties.  It is only since moving to Devon four years ago that I have found the time and inspiration to develop this interest.  What has inspired me most to take photographs is the Devon landscape.  
Since joining the Devon Wildlife Trust as a volunteer, my interests have expanded to wildlife - a form of photography I am still developing. 

Being invited to join my colleagues in this exhibition has encouraged me to share some 
of the images which I have been inspired to shoot with a wider audience. 



HOLWELL ROCKS
A sheep poses for the camera
Howell Rocks (Kevin McDonagh)
Preparatory watercolour sketch (Jenny Bone)
Howell Rocks - Hand felted and embroidered piece (Jenny Bone)


BONEHILL ROCKS
Bonehill Rocks (Kevin McDonagh)
Bonehill Rocks (Jenny Bone)


LUCKY TOR
Lucky Tor (Kevin McDonagh)
Lucky Tor (Jenny Bone)


VIEW OF TEIGNMOUTH
View of Teignmouth (Kevin McDonagh)

View of Teignmouth (Jenny Bone)


SHARP TOR
Sharp Tor (Kevin McDonagh)
Sharp Tor (Jenny Bone)


Look out for future updates from our artists as we develop ideas & new work in preparation for our show at 
RHS Rosemoor, Devon 
16th December 2018 - 20th January 2019 









No comments:

Post a Comment